Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Pitfalls of Commuting

An appropriate follow-up post I think. So, after commuting in my first day on Tuesday, I couldn't commute out. On my way home, I was coming up to a stop light and the chain slipped off during a downshift.

No problems other than that, but I didn't trust riding it home until after I'd had a chance to look it over. Fortunately I had a nice guy driving behind me who pulled around and helped me get the bike home - I'm grateful even more that I only have a lightweight 250cc bike that three guys can hand-lift into the back of a pickup. So, first day lessons learned?
  • ALWAYS wear all gear just in case the unexpected arises - I could have been a lot less lucky and gotten pitched off the bike into traffic. Fortunately, I had it all on and didn't need to use it.
  • Be nice when riding cause the person who helps you may be right next to you.
  • ALWAYS do the required maintenance checks.
Of course, now that I've fixed it, I'm back at it again, so we'll see how the commute goes today. I mean, I paid for the bike - I should use it, right? ;)

No comments: